Friday, November 18, 2011

Fish.. Big No No during pregnancy?!

As soon as  I have heard that I'm Pregnant I was so busy checking what are the do's and don'ts while looking at the internet I saw some article that some of Fish are not allowed to eat during pregnancy because of High in Mercury content. I was kinda shock because as far as i know fish is more healthy than pork or any kind of meat. So I search and try to look a lot of details regarding this matter. So from then on, I started not to eat any fish for I'm so afraid that may affect my baby inside, so i was thinking instead of checking what are the fish i can eat and i cant i'd rather not to fish at all as this time. :) but when I ask my OB if there any kind of fish seafood that is not allowed to eat she simply answer my question like " NO, not at all!" so whom I will believe in? my Ob or a lot of article that I read about this. Confused. 

I found this:
Pregnant women should be allowed to eat more fish 

7:30AM BST 30 May 2010





Pregnant women should be encouraged by the Government to eat at least two portions of fish a week to reduce the risk of their children developing brain disorders, a group of leading nutrition experts have claimed.


The nutritionists fear that current official advice to women, which recommends they eat no more than two portions of fish a week, is leading to an increase in brain disorders.
They say recent research has shown that omega-3 fatty acids found in fish, known as docosahexaenoic acid, are essential for the brain to function properly and current Government advice is insufficient to provide women and their children with enough.
The researchers are to appeal to the Food Standards Agency and the Government's Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition in an open letter asking the two bodies to revise their advice.
They believe that women should be eating at least three portions of fish a week.
Fish consumption among women of child bearing age and girls is currently restricted due to concerns about the presence of potentially harmful contaminants in fish such as dioxins and methylmercury.

No comments: